Sunday, April 25, 2010

My Sunday Dinner...

I mentioned previously that I have had the most incredibly busy week this past week.  As such, not a lot of planning went into Sunday Dinner.  So, this morning....I had to come up with a plan.  Here is what I chose, and it features one of our target foods this week....Vinegar!

I pulled out all the supplies.  Since I didn't start this last night, I used the attachment that goes with my Food Saver to Marinade.  This is not a necessary step, I just wanted to have the meat ready when we came home from Church.  Believe me, I have made this plenty of times using a Zip-lock bag, a glass dish with Plastic Wrap....etc.


I am making a marinade, so I put all the ingredients directly in the container.  I began with Soy Sauce.


The recipe calls for Vegetable oil, but I love Olive Oil and choose to use it instead.


Then I put in the focus item.... Vinegar.  This is Red Wine Vinegar.


Next came the Oregano, Sweet Basil, Garlic Powder and the Pepper.


Stir all the ingredients together.


I had thawed this Turkey in the Microwave while I was making the Marinade.  Place your meat into the Marinade.    Again, you can do this in a bag etc. 


I put the lid on and gave shook it to spread the Marinade over all the surfaces of the Turkey.


With the Food Saver, you can create a vacuum to open the Cells on the meat and draw in the Marinade.  However, if you put all of this in a bag or dish and Marinaded it overnight, it would be just the same.


This is how it hooks up to the Food Saver.


When I came home from Church, it was time to Grill the Turkey.


I wish you could smell the wonderful aroma.  You can use the residual marinade to brush on your meat while you are grilling. 


After about 20-25 minutes the Turkey was ready to eat!


We added a Salad and some fruit and we were ready to go.  This meal took about 30 minutes to prepare and it didn't last long.

Discussion:  Why am I showing you how to make the Marinade?  Because all of these things are considered part of my Food Storage.  I had it all on hand.  I added the fresh vegetables and fruit as I had them in the Refrigerator.  Consider what you could put together if you had staples at your fingertips!

Would you like the recipe?  Here it is:

Chicken Marinade II

1/2 Cup Soy Sauce
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil (I chose to use Olive Oil)
1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1 Teaspoon Oregano
1/2 Teaspoon Sweet Basil
1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper

Combine all ingredients:  pour over chicken pieces in non-metal dish.  Cover and refrigerate overnight, turn occasionally.  Use marinade to baste chicken while cooking.  Great for Grilling.  (Recipe courtesy of http://www.cooks.com/)


No comments:

01 09 10