Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's a Quick Morning Meal......


What in the world do you think I will be doing with all of this? You can see that I have our focus item, Oats. I also have Peaches and Strawberries that I had dehydrated, baggies, labels, a hand blender and a bowl. What can be made with these? How about Instant Oatmeal Packets!

I don't know about your home, but around here the mornings get very hectic. So, a quick bowl of Oatmeal from the microwave is very welcome. I want to show you how easy this is to do and that you can make these from your Food Storage Staples.

 

The recipe calls for blending a 1/2C of Quick cooking oats in your Blender.  By now, you hopefully know that the LRH tries to do things as simply as possible.  So, I pulled out my hand blender.  But, it started making a big mess! 


So, I improvised and put a baggie around my mixer....no more mess!


This is the Oat Powder that you are trying to make. Now into each baggie, place 1/4 Cup un-powdered oats, 2 Tablespoons powdered Oats, and a scant 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
 

If you would like to "jazz" things up a bit, you can make variations of this. I like the "Fruit and Cream" Oatmeal, so I began to make that. I added Tablespoon of Dry milk.


I began to cut my Peaches into small pieces.  (You can see the Oatmeal mix in the baggie to the right).


Add 2 Tablespoons of fruit to your baggie.


Place your "pre-printed" label on the package with the directions of how to prepare it.


I also made "Strawberries and Cream" by breaking the dehydrated Strawberries into small pieces before placing them into the bag.


And here are two types of Instant Oatmeal ready to eat on a busy morning.


Please know that there are several varieties of Instant Oatmeal you can make. Just look below the recipe. My thanks goes to www.heart4home.net/recipes/oatmealmix.htm  for the recipe. Also, I have found that if I Microwave the water on high for 1.5 to 2.5 minutes, it is boiling and makes this process go faster when I am ready for breakfast in the morning!).



Instant Oatmeal Packets



Check the cereal aisle for more flavor ideas. The possibilities are endless!


• 3 cups Quick-Cooking Oats


• Salt


• 8 Plastic Sandwich Bags


Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and whirl at high speed until powdery; reserve in a small bowl and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats. If you're using a food processor, powder the 1 cup of oats in one motion. Into each sandwich bag put 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 tablespoons powdered oats, and a scant 1/4 teaspoon salt. Store in a box or airtight container.


To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water; stir and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water; for thinner, use more water. (I microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 minutes or until done on high)


• Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 T. sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon, and 2T. chopped dried apples.


• Cinnamon-Spice Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 T. sugar, 1/4 t. cinnamon, and a scant 1/8 t. nutmeg.


• Fruit and Cream: To each packet add 1T. dry milk and 2T dried fruit or fresh fruit after cooking or jam.


• Oatmeal with Raisins and Brown Sugar: To each packet add 1 T. packed brown sugar and 1 T. raisins.


• Sweetened Oatmeal: To each packet add 1 T. sugar


• Wheat Germ Oatmeal: To each packet add 2 T. any kind of wheat germ

No comments:

01 09 10