Sunday, June 6, 2010

Focaccia Bread.....Yum.....



Since we are finalizing our focus on White flour, I am including another idea that you can easily make with your Food Storage staples.

In a previous post, I included the "Little Caesars Pizza Dough" recipe.  Here, I taking advantage of making that dough, which I made ahead of time in my bread maker.  I'm am telling you, this is delicious and easy. My thanks goes to my sister, Dyana D, who gave me the idea. 



Last summer, I dehydrated "sun dried tomatoes".  In the post that I did about them, I noted that I would only soak them in Olive Oil just prior to using them because I didn't want them to go to waste in the refrigerator.



I made these with Cherry Tomatoes, and am adding the Olive Oil to soak them in.


My sister instructed me to put the dough in the refrigerator over night.  This is how it looks after taking it out of the refrigerator.




I don't have a pizza stone, but I do like this pizza pan.  Drizzle Olive Oil on the pan.  As you can see, this pan is perforated, so I have waxed paper underneath to make for easy clean-up.




I just let the dough slide out of the bag on to the pan.  I pressed it our a bit with my finger, and then flipped the dough over and did it again.  This way, the dough was coated with Olive Oil.



After I pressed the dough into the pan, and let it rest for about 5 minutes, I came back and pushed my fingertips into the dough.




This is what it looked like afterwards.  The indentations are to capture the yummy toppings you are about to put on top.



Yes, brush on more Olive Oil.  I used the oil my tomatoes had been soaking in and brush it on the dough.



I then placed my sun dried tomatoes on the dough.  (The next time I do this, I will dice them up into little pieces.  I will also press the pieces into the dough so that some of them do not pop off when they come out of the oven).



I got out my Kosher Salt.



Sprinkle some on the top of the dough.



Sprinkle Parmesan Cheese all over the dough.



Bake for 15-20 minutes.  This is how it looks right out of the oven.



Serve hot, or at least at room temperature.  I promise, your kitchen will smell wonderful and it most likely will not last long.


Lessons to be learned


  • Every ingredient used to make this was in my food storage.


  • I could slice this bread and make sandwiches with it.  Think about specialty sandwich shops, they offer this type of bread.


  • It did not take long to put the toppings on, less than 5 minutes.  Don't let time be a barrier for you...this is very doable. 


  • I did not have to run out and get anything special...but I made something very special.  Be creative.


  • Search the Internet for recipes of the foods your family loves and also that you would like to try.  Food Storage can be so delicious, that you family does not realize that this what they are really eating.


Try it....really, you won't be sorry!

No comments:

01 09 10