Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My Necessary Evil for Rice....


When I look back over many of the posts I had made on this blog, I have decided that it is a bit ridiculous how many "gadgets" I have for the kitchen!  However, this is one I refuse to do without.  In fact, I already wore out my first one.  This is a Rice Cooker.  Yes, I actually have pans that I can cook the rice in...but I use this device.  The reason is that I really am a busy person, and I love the fact that I can come home and have rice that is already cooked and warm!   Today I am going to cook Black Japonica or Jubilee Rice in my Rice Cooker.



Your Rice Cooker will come with its own measuring cup....and it doesn't always have the same measurements as a traditional measuring cup...beware! The manual that comes with the device will tell you how many "cups" of rice to put in for the number of servings you are going to make. It will also indicate the level of water to place in the removable insert (it is black in the above picture). Here is something I learned the hard way, put in extra water if you are going to have your Rice Cooker keep your rice warm for more than 3-4 hours. That way it won't scorch on the bottom.


At our house, the Rooster insists that the rice have either a lot of flavor or gravy. This is because he has lived abroad in countries where Rice was a main staple daily. He said he got tired of plain rice...and will only eat it if it is "jazzed up" a bit. Here I am adding bouillon.



You can program you Rice Cooker.  Since this rice is not white, I am using the Brown Rice cycle.  After the rice is cooked, most devices will keep or hold your rice on "warm" until you turn the unit off.  I love this!


Although it looks a bit messy on the spoon, this is how my rice came out....and it was delicious. We had steak and salad to go with it. "Twas good".

So, if you are a gadget freak like myself....this is really one to get if you are in and out or gone a lot. You can have rice ready and waiting for you when you like!

No comments:

01 09 10