Friday, May 21, 2010

It's a Matter of Freezing......Butter



Today we are talking about freezing butter.  This is yet another way to have Butter in your long-term storage. 

I don't know about you, but I hate things falling over in my freezer.  The boxes that butter traditionally come in are slick, and so they are often the first to slide or fall out of your freezer.  It can be painful when the boxes are frozen solid.  So, here is a solution I use, and it keeps things organized...and I can tell at a glance how much butter I have on hand.




This is a storage box for sweaters.  It is clear and long.  It fits well on my Freezer Shelf.




As you can see, I have taken the individual cubes out of the original packing and placed them into the container.  I can fit 38 cubes, or 9 and a half boxes of butter into this container.  Another reason to put them into a container like this is it does not allow the butter to absorb other odors from surrounding foods.  Some websites recommend wrapping each cube in foil to avoid absorbing other aromas from surrounding food.  With this method, which I have done for years, I have not had any issues with absorption of flavors...and my son stores his Otterpops right by the butter!




Finally, I put a label on it so the Roosters in the house can see it.  It's amazing that they could ask questions like "What's in the box Mom?" without a label. 

How long will butter last in the freezer?  Sources vary, but most say 6-9 months.   To thaw, put in the refrigerator...most likely over night.


Sources:  http://www.baking911.com/pantry/storage_ingredients.htm#dairy, http://www.tillamookcheese.com/FAQS/Butter_Questions.aspx,

No comments:

01 09 10