Saturday, January 9, 2010

It's a matter of "Gummies"....




Yes.....we are continuing our discussion of ...... Jello...or Gelatin depending upon what you would like to call it. I actually made "Gummy candy" and even made my version of "Fruit Snacks" with real fruit. I had the peanut gallery (here in my home) critique all versions and the following is what I ended up with.

Now, why would you make them when you can buy them? Because they are easy, yummy, and use this week's featured item....Jello. Here is how you do it!





Here, you see a 3 oz box if Gelatin, a half-a-cup of water, Non-flavored Gelatin (Knox brand), and several candy molds (that I already had).




Pour the Gelatin Powder into a bowl.




Add the Non-flavored Gelatin (FYI, there is about 3/4 of a tsp of powder per packet)




Mix the two powders together.




Pour in the water.




Mix very well and try to incorporate all the grains into the liquid.




Place in the microwave on high for 40-60 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir well. Make sure there are no grains on the bottom of the bowl.




Pour into molds.




Place mold(s) into the freezer for 5 minutes.




I got a little smarter as I went...I separated the molds with canning rings so that I didn't have to take up so much surface area in my freezer.




Remove the molds from the freezer and pull the snacks from the molds.

Things I learned in the process:
  1. My first attempt to make them came out very, very, very chewy. I felt like I was trying to eat a tire. So, with a little tweaking, the final recipes are below.
  2. Clean your bowl and utensils as soon as you put the molds into the freezer.....the mixture sets up in the bowl as well.
  3. You will spill some...so just count on it. You will most likely spill on your molds and on your counters. Get the counters cleaned as soon as you clean the bowl. I did not try to put the bowl in the dishwasher to clean it, but I may try it in the future.
  4. Experiment with them to find the "right" way for you.
"The Little Red Hen's Gummy Snacks"
  • 2 1/4 to 3 Tablespoons of Unflavored Gelatin (3-4 packages depending upon desired consistency)
  • 1/2 Cup water or fruit juice
  • (1) 3 oz (or 1/2 Cup) flavored Gelatin
  • Optional: 2 Tablespoons sugar or powdered drink mix (with sugar added).
Mix powders together. Add the liquid and stir well. Place in the microwave and cook for 40-60 seconds on high ensuring that all "grains" are liquefied. Pour quickly into molds. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes. Remove from the freezer and pull from molds. If the candy is too sticky, you can drop the candies in a baggie of powdered sugar and coat them.
The other recipe that I experimented with was the following:
"The Little Red Hen's Fruity Snacks"
  • 2 1/4 Tablespoons of Unflavored Gelatin
  • 1/2 Cup pureed fruit (I used applesauce)
  • 1/2 Cup flavored Gelatin or (1) 3 oz package
  • Optional: 2 Tablespoons of sugar or powdered drink mix with sugar.
Mix powders together. Add the Fruit and stir well. Place in the microwave and cook for 40-60 seconds on high ensuring that all "grains" are liquefied. Pour quickly into molds. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes. Remove from the freezer and pull from molds. If the candy is too sticky, you can drop the candies in a baggie of powdered sugar and coat them.
What a neat treat to make that is very, very simple to do. Your children will enjoy the process and the treat. Try it soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to try this.

The Little Red Hen said...

I hope you do, they are really easy and very delicious too! Thanks for stopping by!

01 09 10