Saturday, June 20, 2009

What if I live outside of Utah, where can I get.....

I had a great surprise this weekend. One of my most beloved college friends came to Utah and took time out of her busy schedule to visit. As we talked, trying to fill in the blanks from the last time we saw each other many years ago, she mentioned that she does read this little blog. She also stated that she didn't think she should vote in the poll because she thought it might be for the RS in our ward only. So not!

Anyway, she said she looked at several items that were of interest to her, particularly the canned butter, cheese, and bacon. She wished that she could get these things outside of Utah.

Alpine Food Storage states that they will ship anywhere in the lower 48 states. Also, there is another option for these foods. It is http://www.mredepot.com/.

This is the canned bacon that reportedly has 50 (not 150) slices inside. It comes in a 9 oz can. I opened one to find out for myself...and it is really the case. The slices are wrapped in a parchment-type of paper and they are very good.

The canned butter is very good. My son opened a can while my sisters were here as they wanted to try it. It was wonderful. If I didn't know it came from a can, I would never have believed anyone who tried to tell that it was the case.

This is the canned cheese. It is like a medium Cheddar Cheese. It can be grated or melted.

All of these products last for ~20 years. They are indeed long term storage items in LRH's opinion. Again, you have a choice, http://www.alpinefoodstorage.com/ (you can order directly from them) and http://www.mredepot.com/. They also have canned meats that are also very good.

(Photos courtesy of MREdepot.com)



I'm really glad I had the opportunity to visit with my long-time friend. I hope to do it again this summer. However, her visit encouraged me to post possibilities for those who live outside of Utah. Good luck!

2 comments:

Grant said...

I'm pretty sure the Yoders Bacon has about 50 slices per can and not 150. Someone must have hit that 1 key...

The Little Red Hen said...

Thank you Grant....indeed there are 50 slices per can. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

01 09 10