Sunday, June 14, 2009

It's a matter of ....Dehydrating

You may be asking yourself...."why in the world would I dehydrate food?.......I don't even know what to do with it in the first place!" There is truth to this statement for many of us. The LRH has been using her Dehydrator non-stop for the past couple of days. With so many berries that are available, I couldn't help myself! I have lots of Strawberries and Raspberries. The Blackberries were eaten before I could get to them.

I have been experimenting with the strawberries in particular. After slicing them, I have tried the following:

  • 1. Dipping them in Pineapple juice. I did this at the suggestion of my sister. It makes them very tart!
  • 2. Sprinkle them with Jello powder once they are on the tray. It makes them a little sweeter.
  • 3. Just slice, place on the trays and then dehydrate in their original form.

I also tried to dehydrate some that were still pliable, but the peanut gallery voted that down. So, all of the strawberries are crisp....like a fruit chip. My son, who is a bit of a complainer lately, was telling me that he thought this was weird....all the while he ate half of a tray of strawberry slices.

I am currently experimenting with Zucchini slices that were dipped in soy sauce and sprinkled with salt and garlic powder. I'll let you know how that one turns out.

The moral of the story is to start.....with something. You can dehydrate in your oven, in the sun, or you can purchase a dehydrator as LRH has done. You will be saving space, hopefully money, and providing healthful snacks for your family.

To learn more about Dehydrating, see the post dated 4/4/2009 for a series of videos by a very smart lady. She shows you how to do many different fruits and vegetables and also shows you what they should look like when they are done.


Try it today. You may surprise yourself on how much you really like these foods. My son is certainly surprised!

No comments:

01 09 10