Thursday, July 2, 2009

It's a matter of Dehydrating Peppers

Bell PeppersImage by Let Ideas Compete via Flickr



Not too long ago, the LRH came across a sale on Peppers. It was not only Green Peppers, but Orange, Red, and Yellow. I bought a bunch! I then prepared them as follows and dehydrated them. They are great to use in casseroles, when making Salsa, Burritos, or anything else you can think of !


Here are the steps to dehydrating them. First of all, you do not need to blanch them. I cut them in half, and removed the seeds.


Next, I cut them into strips and placed them on the tray. Place the trays in the dehydrator and check periodically to see if they are dehydrated to your preference. I would recommend that you place your dehydrator outside because of the strong aroma. (As you can see, there is nothing that requires a Rocket-Scientist yet!)






This is what the Red Peppers looked like after they were dehydrated.






Look how beautiful they look after they are dehydrated!



If you were to purchase Pepper Flakes from your local Grocery Store, you most likely would pay between $3.00 and $7.00 for just over 1-2 ounces. I got nearly 18 oz (after dehydration) for about $10.00. If that isn't worth just a few minutes of your time to slice them up, I don't know what is. Try it!

No comments:

01 09 10