Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Renewable Resource?


In my last post, I talked about Batteries and storage.  Having Batteries is one thing, but getting to recharge them is another.  Can you recharge disposable batteries...Yes!



I saw this advertised on a television network late one night when I couldn't sleep.  I decided to give it a try as it said it will recharge traditional batteries. "Hmmm" I thought, that would be wonderful if I could recharge traditional batteries.  I purchased it.  It is called the "Renu-it pro series (Professional Grade Disposable Battery Regenerator).  Although I didn't purchase this device from Amazon, it can be purchased there.  It costs about $30.00.


I like the read-out.  It lets you know if your batteries are 'bad' (meaning that they will not recharge) or if your batteries are charged.  


I like the indicator lights. I like that you can charge different sizes of batteries at the same time. Additionally, you can stack the batteries on top of each other (like AA or AAA) to charge them.  You can see the red lights on the indicator. If they are solid, they are not chargeable.  If they are flashing, the batteries is or can be charged.  Notice also that you can charge NiCD, Alkaline and NiMH batteries.  


I also have rechargeable batteries as well.  Although the still picture cannot show it, the display has a 'wave-like' motion to show that it is charging.

Things to Consider:

  • You should always inspect the batteries, particularly the Alkaline batteries for leaking.  This should be done before and after charging.  Place the batteries on tissue or paper for about an hour after charging to check for leaking. Any battery that is leaking should be disposed of.
  • I have found that the recharged 'disposable' batteries do not hold a charge as long as fresh batteries do, so keep that in mind.
  • One reviewer on Amazon suggested that you should charge your batteries when you have about 1/3 of a charge left.  You will need a meter to do this.  In his experience, you have a higher chance of charging the battery.
  • If the device you put the batteries in is fairly costly, consider using fresh batteries to avoid the chance of leaking.
  • You will save money by recharging your batteries!  This is a big deal!
You need more than Batteries in your emergency supplies. Consider getting a meter and a recharger to make the most of your battery investment.

Consider it!

No comments:

01 09 10