Sunday, November 25, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving! I am practicing what I preach!


Well, they great Thanksgiving Holiday is behind us.  The love for my family only increases as we remember the goodness of our Heavenly Father.   We had many wonderful foods to partake of.  I am sure you did as well.


I chose to 'practice what I preach'.  I used the Perfect Pie Crust recipe to make my pie crusts. I did make one modification...I actually followed all the directions and rolled the dough between 2 pieces of waxed paper.  It really does make a difference.  


I found that my Ulu Knife proved to be invaluable, particularly when dicing vegetables for the stuffing.  It made quick work of the task.


Speaking of Stuffing, I used my grain mill and made cornmeal from my "Dent Corn" that I have in my storage.  I made cornbread from my food storage staples and let it sit out over night.


Because I had lined the pans with foil, I pulled the bread out of the pan and diced it right in the foil.


I cooked the sausage and added the spices (also from my food storage).


Meanwhile I sautéed the onions and celery in butter.   (I have a supply of butter in the freezer and also canned butter.  I keep the onions in my small portable 'root cellar')


I made chicken stock from Bouillon I have in my food storage.  I poured it over all the ingredients for the stuffing.


I placed the contents into my crockpot to make "Crockpot Stuffing" .

I also made Cranberry Sauce, that was very simple to do.

So.....I am not trying to tell you how great I am.  On the contrary, I am trying to show that I had many things already in my storage.  In fact, when I was in line at the grocery store, I had relatively few things in my cart as compared to many of the other shoppers.  I saw carts overflowing with basic cooking and baking supplies.

I am also showing that having items and skills gives you so many options.  I think I only spent about $25.00 on my entire Thanksgiving dinner that fed 8 people.  You can eat very well as well as eat in a very healthy manner by having food storage staples and the skill set to prepare them.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

RevAllyson said...

Congrats! Your feast looks like it was delicious! :) We did ours on Saturday and it turned out lovely. We had picked up turkey on sale, and all the veggies were ones we'd either picked up in season and stored, or grown ourselves in the garden. The stuffing was made with bread I baked from wheat berries we'd ground ourselves. It was a very satisfying meal!

The Little Red Hen said...

Allyson,

Good for you. I love it when a plan comes together...don't you? I love that you produced much of it yourself and found your turkey on sale. Great job! Thanks for stopping by!

01 09 10