Monday, March 5, 2012

"Break-the-fast-dinner".....


Yes, that is my Kindle among these food storage staples.  I am in love, it is a great little item and it is easy to search and find wonderful things using it.  What am I making you may ask?  Stay tuned.....


Some of you know that my husband and I are serving in a Young Single Adult ward.  The opportunities and experiences we are having are not only amazing, but are very memorable.  Well, our ward had a "Break-the-fast-dinner".  What this means is that essentially is some folks brought main dishes, others desserts, etc.  It's a big, big potluck dinner to break the fast following church on Fast Sunday.  I wasn't assigned to bring anything, but I just couldn't show up empty handed. 

I then thought about all the food storage staples I have in my home...and now that one or more children come and go, we don't necessarily need it all.  So, I decided to make something from my Food Storage.  I decided upon pies.  I put the first 3 ingredients in my food processor.

After putting in the cold water, I had a wonderful dough to use.


I rolled it out and trimmed off the rough edges.


Then, I rolled it on to my rolling pin and place the dough into the pie plate.


I put in the Cherry Pie filling that I canned using Ultra Gel.



Roll out the top crust and place it on.


Choose the fluted edges you wish.


Cut vents.


This suggestion come courtesy of my sister, Teri. Cut leaves and the shape of the fruit inside.


Using eggwash or water, attach them to the top crust.


Cover the edges with foil while baking. Remove the foil during the last 10-15 minutes of baking. The foil protects the edges from burning. 

The pies turned out well, but I don't have a photo of the finished product....because I was running out the door with my pies in order to make it to church.

I made this totally with food storage supplies....and there was not any left after the meal.  I made cherry and apple, and it was actually simple. I have decided that I will be making dishes from my food storage for future dinners.  It's great practice for me, it helps rotate my supplies, and it feeds the masses.  

If you are wondering what this amazing recipe is....see it below. It comes from KSL TV.


Perfect Pie Crust
Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup cold lard
  • 6-8 tablespoons cold water
Method:

1 double crust 9-inch pie or 2 single crust 9-inch pie shells.
Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives cut cold lard into flour until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture tossing gently with a fork; continue to add water until pastry is moist enough to press into a ball. Do not over mix pastry. Divide dough in half and roll each half out on a lightly floured surface, or between two sheets wax paper until it is the size of pie plate. Follow directions for favorite pie.

No comments:

01 09 10