Monday, January 10, 2011

It's a matter of cooking with Dehydrated foods....

Guess what we had for dinner on Sunday?  It was warm, hearty, and wonderful.  Are you finished guessing?  I made Clam Chowder....and I used foods from my Food Storage.  This was so convenient and easy. Want to see?


Here is the final product.  Below are the steps to get there!



The recipe called for diced potatoes, celery and onion.  I used my dehydrated Potato and Celery, but had an onion that I needed to use....so in the pot they went.


I covered the vegetables with the clam juice and then added enough water to cover the and simmer until tender..about 20 minutes.


The recipe called for a quart of milk......so I made one!


I added the milk to the rue I had made (melted butter ....from my freezer....and flour)



Heat until smooth, stirring as you go.


Add the milk solution to the vegetables.  Bring to a slow simmer.  Add Salt and Pepper to taste.


Add your clams at the last moment. 


Here is the final product in about 30 minutes.  Rich, creamy Clam Chowder.  Think of ways to substitute your dehydrated foods in your recipes and use them.  You will be amazed at what you can accomplish!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for sharing a great recipe. I also love to use dehydrated and freeze dried foods when I make soup. I am having a link party featuring main dishes made from food storage ingredients. I would love it if you would link up.
http://cookingwithmyfoodstorage.blogspot.com/2011/03/lime-chicken-tacos-food-storage-dinner.html

The Little Red Hen said...

I hope you try it. It really is very good. Thanks also for the invite....I did take a look.

01 09 10