Saturday, March 8, 2014

Convenience Food....in your Pantry.!



I glanced at my Facebook page one day and saw a plea from my very pregnant daughter. She was under the weather and posted a plea for homemade Chicken Soup.  She was mostly kidding, but I was in a position to make some for her.

I had everything and didn't have to go to the store....I just love that!!!!!  Having your Food Storage Staples is so very convenient!


I cut the carrots....


Diced the Celery....


I used my "Pantry Gold" (aka Canned Chicken).  I poured the broth into the pan with the vegetables, spices and Bay Leaf.  I also used some of my Chicken Soup base that I use when I need Chicken broth.  This is a shelf stable product.  


I diced the chicken....I personally like to have real chunks of Chicken in my soup.


Instead of Noodles, I put in Barley. I love the texture that Barley gives the soup.


Letting the soup simmer for a few minutes makes the whole house smell wonderful.


Transporting the soup was a challenge.  I remembered that I had these wonderful jars with a rubber seal.  I usually make my yogurt in these jars.  


I used my canning funnel to spoon the delicious soup into the jar....


I placed the freshly made soup into a bag.


Threw in some crackers.....


And, of course I put "someone's missing Dinosaur Train" in the bag.  You see, not only was my daughter not feeling well, but her little 2-year old son was fussing because he could not find his one of his favorite toys. It had accidentally been left behind during one of his visits to our house.  

What is the 'take-home message'?  Having a well-stocked pantry and Food Storage allows you to do things on the spot.  Yes, I did use fresh carrots and celery, but a well stocked refrigerator is also part of being prepared.  I could have used dehydrated vegetables if I wanted to.  I just decided to use the fresh vegetables.

Ultimate convenience comes from having your Food Storage Staples available.  Yes, Food Storage is absolutely 'convenience food' at your fingertips.  


Would you like the recipe?  It comes from an old Cookbook I have had for a very long time.  

Chicken Rice Soup (The New Pillsbury Family Cookbook 1973)

  • 3-4 lbs stewing chicken cut into pieces (I used my canned chicken-1 Pint)
  • 3 quarts (12 cups) water
  • 1 Tablespoon salt
  • 6 peppercorns
  • 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning, if desired
  • 2 medium stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 small onion copped
  • 3 carrots, sliced
  • 1/2 cup uncooked brown or white rice  (I used Barley instead)
In large saucepan, combine chicken, water, salt, peppercorns and poultry seasoning.  Bring to boil. Cover and simmer 2-2 1/2 hours or until hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and peppercorns.  Skim off fat. Cut meat from the bone and return to soup.  (Isn't the canned Chicken easier?).  Add remaining ingredients. Continue simmering, covered, 30-40 minutes or until rice (Barley in my case) is tender.    For Chicken Noodle Soup, omit rice and 1-2 cups uncooked noodles.  Cover until noodles are tender.  


Try It On A Cold Wintery Day!


No comments:

01 09 10