Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Dinner....from our "Stockpile"

I recently saw an episode of  "Extreme Couponing".  One of the 'shoppers' was showing off her supply or 'stockpile'.  I found that to be an interesting synonym for "Food Storage". 

Being that it is Sunday, we have a Sunday family dinner together.  Today, I didn't plan ahead...again.  I usually do better, but I have not been on top of this lately.  Not to worry, I was able to make a delicious yet easy meal from my Food Storage staples...or my stock pile.  I made Chicken Chow Mein and it was really good!


With the exception of the celery, everything is shelf-stable.  I have my (on the back row) Dehydrated Mushrooms (that I did myself), the Chow-Mein Noodles, & dehydrated onions.On the first row, I have the Chicken that I canned.  (If you wish to see how this is done, please go here).  In this same row, there is cornstarch, rice, and chicken bouillon. 


I put the dehydrated onions and mushrooms in a glass with hot water.  I could have used dehydrated celery as well, but I needed to use the celery in my refrigerator.  See how the dried food initially rose to the top.


Next, I chopped the Celery


I made the chicken broth by using the chicken bouillon and hot water.


After about 5 minutes, I drained the liquid from the glass.  See how much the onions and mushrooms have increased in volume?


I opened a jar of chicken cut it into chunks.


I drizzled some Olive Oil into the pan.


Fry the mushrooms and onions in the Olive Oil.



Drop in the chopped Celery.


Add the chicken stock (that was made with the chicken bouillon)


Add the soy sauce


Add the chopped chicken.


Add the Cornstarch/water mixture.  Stir until thickened.


This is the end result.  I gave my family the choice of Chow Mein Noodles and Rice.  And, by the way...there is nothing left!

Here is the recipe from "Cookin' With Home Storage"  Peggy Layton and Vicki Tate. 

Chicken Chow Mein (using fresh or dried foods)

Brown lightly in oil:
1/4 C onions
1 C Mushrooms

Add and simmer for 15 minutes
1 1/2 C chopped cooked chicken (canned will work)
1 C diced celery
1 1/2 C meat stock or water
3 T soy sauce.

Blend and stir into meat mixture:
1 1/2 T Cornstarch
3 T of water

Cook until slightly thickened and clear.  Serve over rice or noodles.

It was a fast and delicious meal.  Try it soon!

No comments:

01 09 10