Friday, April 29, 2011

It's a matter of Service.....


I was recently asked why I have been 'silent' on our little blog.  I have been busy with other things as of late.  You may be wondering what has taken my attention.  Well, believe it or not, it is Convention time.  "Are you kidding?" you may say. No, I mean it.  You may be unaware, but in the State of Utah, your neighbor has been nominated and elected as a Delegate.....to represent you. Different parties have different 'zones' or areas, but just know there is someone who is trying to represent you and vote as they think you would if you had the opportunity. 

I have the privilege to have been elected as a Precinct officer and a County Delegate.  I have spent my evenings going to listen to other individuals who are concerned about the current state of affairs and have chosen to serve ..... you.  For example, tomorrow the Utah County GOP will be  electing individuals for Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, and Treasurer. The Delegates will not only elect individuals to fill these positions, but also for those who are running for State Central Committee (and there are 68 running for 20 positions!).

I have been attending meetings, listening to phone calls, and weeding through my email to help me understand who these candidates are and what they wish to accomplish if they are elected.  I am so grateful that citizens in my area feel a desire to serve and volunteer.  I have heard many reasons why people are running, but most of them boil down to a desire to protect our Republic, elect leaders that will shore-up spending, and turn our country on a course of accountability and responsibility. 

Isn't it wonderful to know that people in your community are stepping up?  What about you?  Are you content with the direction of our state or country?  There is a lot you can do.  Contact a member associated with your party affiliation.  Talk with them and learn about what you can do.  There is always an opportunity to serve. 

In my opinion, I have an obligation to my children and grandchildren to do what I can to protect the rights and freedoms that they should be in a position to experience.  You can do something.....everyone can.  Make the choice to serve your community....you really won't miss that episode of your favorite show that much!


No comments:

01 09 10