Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cooking from your food storage......Reaping the rewards in convenience!


One of the most common questions that I hear is "What am I supposed to cook with all of this food storage?".  My answer...."everything!".  Once you have so many things available to you....it will be a matter of convenience for you. Here is one example....Beef Stroganoff.


Cook enough rice for your family.  I use my rice cooker, but a saucepan would work just fine!


I am using two half-pint jars of canned hamburger....no defrosting! It's equivalent to ~1.5 lbs of raw hamburger.



I am using my Condensed Soup Mix, an envelope of Onion Soup Mix, and Sour Cream.



Put your hamburger in the pan along with your envelope of Onion Soup.


Mix enough to equal one can of Condensed Soup (like Cream of Mushroom) which is just over 1 cup.


Pour the soup mix into the meat mixture.


Mix in about 1 Cup of Sour Cream.  If you wish it to be creamier, add more to your liking.


This step is not necessary, but I like to add a little Cumin for taste. You can also add Salt and Pepper to taste.


Mix well and heat through.


Serve over rice (or noodles if you prefer) along with your side dishes. This is an easy meal to prepare...and a quick one because you have your food storage items available.  Yes, I did use Sour Cream from the store, but I could have used Sour Cream powder or Yogurt

Just begin using your food storage staples in your cooking, I promise it will become a logical and easy thing to incorporate once you try.  Do not let food storage be a barrier....let it be a convenience for you!  Feel rewarded for your efforts!

No comments:

01 09 10