Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It's week #1 in October....and the focus item is Canned Meats


This week, our focus is on stocking up...on Canned Meats.  Here, you see I have hit the local Caselot sale.  I use these for sandwiches, for soups, and sometimes casseroles.  I love the convenience of canned meats because the cooking has been done and they are ready at any time.

Also, in previous posts, I have shown you how to can your own meats.  Here are some links to help you see that this is really a simple process, and can be much less expensive than purchasing canned meats as above.  You should know me by now, I can't pay full price for anything without cause.  So, if I have purchased previously canned meats, you know they were because they were a screamin' deal.

Canned Chicken

Canned Hamburger

Now, I used some of my hamburger yesterday to make a Taco Soup.  Fast, easy, and delicious.  Just think about the time and delicious meals you can prepare for your family by having Canned Meats on hand!

2 comments:

Sondra said...

Be careful when purchasing canned meat. Before you purchase a case, I would purchase 1 can and taste it. A couple of years ago I purchased Hormel canned meat for my food storage and hated the taste. For me, it tasted like dog food. I ended up sending it all to the food bank. It was a waste of money. I however LOVE my own canned chicken and use it at least weekly. I hate wasting food - so be cautious in stocking up big cases of something you haven't tried. (From lessons learned). Also, you may like it after trying 1 can and then can go purchase the case - I just found out that I don't like store canned meat - yuck.

The Little Red Hen said...

Thank you for your comment. I agree it is important to 'try before you buy'.

01 09 10