What a mess! The sad part is that this is only a sample of the DVD's we were sorting through. As it turns out, the DVD's and Videos (Yes we still have some) were taking up a great deal of space in one of our closets. It was getting to the point that we were having a difficult time trying to even see what movies we had. So, my wonderful daughter took on the task.
Here is another view of the mounds of cases. Just for perspective, these are the sweet feet of my three year old grandson. He kept asking why we had towers of videos to knock over...and he did knock them over.
I had several 3-ring binders that were not being used. I also had about 100 DVD Refill pages that each hold 8 CD's or DVD's. We she separated the DVD's by category: Church, Children's, Drama, Comedy, Documentary....and one of her final categories was.... "Old Geezer". This is for my husband's shows and movies that....let's just say were from his childhood. The one's that the Grandkids politely sit and watch with Grandpa because he asked them to.
In the 3-ring binder, you can see 8 different disks at a time.
You can see that we used file folders (cut in half). I labeled them with my trusty labeler.
Look at this! These 2 trash bags are full of DVD cases and all the disks fit conveniently into thee 2 binders.
Soooo, the next time someone wants to watch a movie, they don't have to wade through shelf after shelf to see what we have. They can conveniently flip a page. Just for your information, these DVD's took up several shelves in the closet. When I went to put these binders in the closet, they took about 8" of shelf space.
Now we are deciding what we can do with all those DVD cases! We have found some good ideas already.
Take Home Message:
- The DVD's and Blue-Ray's come in protective cases. However, these cases take up a lot of valuable space.
- Placing the disks into sleeves also protects them and takes up a fraction of the space.
- You can easily see what you have rather than scavenging through shelf after shelf looking for the movie you wish to watch.
- When you go traveling, these sleeves will take very little space in your vehicle or bag.
- For me, this was all free because I already had the supplies already. However, if you wish to do this, I guesstimate that purchasing the supplies may be similar to the purchase price of your next movie!