Saturday, March 27, 2010

Granola bars....using Corn Syrup



I wanted to offer more ideas of things you can do with Corn Syrup.  As discussed in an earlier post, Corn Syrup is not the High Fructose Corn Syrup that you hear so much about in the media.  To become High fructose, there is an additional step in processing that needs to be taken.  Corn Syrup that you find in the grocery store is not this type of product.

So, I certainly purchase plenty of Granola bars for my children.  They sure go through them quickly as well.  I found several recipes for Granola Bars, but decided upon this one to try.  Here is how it was done.

Assemble all your ingredients.  I had everything called for in my Food Storage supplies.  I was quite excited about that...no special or secret ingredients required!  The only thing that was unusual, and that is also optional was Wheat Germ.


Put the cereals, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips and wheat germ in the bowl.


Stir the dry ingredients together.


Mix the peanut butter, corn syrup and brown sugar in a bowl.  Microwave on HIGH for 1-2 minutes.  Here, I am stirring in the vanilla after I took the mixture out of the Microwave.


Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients.


Combine the ingredients well.


Spray your pan with Non-stick Spray.  Place your mixture in the pan and press down firmly.  Let stand for an hour.


Cut into bars.

My son was watching over me like a hawk during this whole thing. He didn't want to wait an hour and said he was so hungry he could die. Well, after an hour, I cut them and gave him one. He said it was really good. If offered to dip them in Chocolate as many of the commercial Granola bars are. He declined saying they were really good by themselves.


I haven't figured out how much these cost to make, but it can't be much. Here is the recipe below:



Chewy Chocolate Granola Bars:  (www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details_test.asp?id=1387)

• Cooking Spray

• 2-1/2 Cups quick OR old-fashioned oats

• 2 cups crispy rice cereal

• 1/2 cup roasted sunflower seeds

• 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

• 1/4 cup wheat germ, optional

• 1 cup peanut butter

• 1 cup Corn Syrup

• 1/2 cup brown sugar

• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Spray 13 x 9-in pan with cooking spray. Mix together cereals, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips, and wheat germ in a large bowl. Combine peanut butter, corn syrup and brown sugar in a microwaveable bowl. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 1-2 minutes. Stir in vanilla extract until well blended and smooth. Pour over cereal mixture and stir until evenly coated. Spoon into prepared pan. Press down firmly Let stand for an hour. Cut into bars.


COOKIES AND CREAM BARS:  After that round of granola bars, my son WANTED Cookies and Cream bars...so here is that process I used.  You will see the link to this recipe below. I made a few modifications....for my convenience.  I will note them as we go.


I crushed the sandwich cookies in a ziplock bag.  No mess....no fuss. 



The recipe will tell you to put the Corn Syrup and Chocolate Chips in a saucepan to melt it.  Since I had used the microwave with the recipe at the top, I did this mixture in the microwave instead.  I had to stop it about each minute and stir the mixture to help the chips melt.  Since the original recipe states to heat until it begins to boil, I just watched for it to begin to boil while in the microwave.



Mix in the cereal and the liquid mixture together.



Press the mixture into a 9 x 13 inch pan.  Pour the cookie pieces on top of the coated cereal. 

 

Press the pieces into the Rice cereal mixture.  Let stand one hour.    Here is the link to this recipe:  Cookies & Cream Cereal Bar Treats: http://www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details.asp?id=1388



Other recipes to try:  



Ooey Gooey Krisper Bars:  http://www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details.asp?id=884
 
Fruit & Nut Cereal Bars:  http://www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details.asp?id=1373

Believe It or Not Candy Bars: http://www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details.asp?id=1621

S'mores No-Bake Cereal Bar Treats:  http://www.karosyrup.com/recipe_details.asp?id=1386

No comments:

01 09 10